Please don't dismiss so quickly that just because Donald Trump won Texas that there wasn't an attempt to game the system.
Through the diligent work of people like Attorney General Ken Paxton, State Senator Paul Bettencourt, Dr. Steven Hotze and his allies', attempts to steal votes were in many ways thwarted.
Most important now is the future. In Texas and other states, the 2005 bipartisan report on Federal Election Reform, known as the Carter-Baker Commission, needs to be implemented before the 2022 elections.
The Commission's suggestions:
- Mail-in voters and ballot harvesting: Ban third parties/political operatives from collecting ballots.
- Nationwide voter ID standards: They recommend states require voters to use the Real ID card, including provisions for voter ID on mail-in ballots.
- Mandate updated voter registration lists yearly: This makes perfect sense. All states should be required to maintain accurate voting lists, purging the lists regularly by matching deaths, driver's licenses, tax rolls, felony records and of non-citizens who declare themselves same when summoned for jury duty.
- Election Observers: Observers properly credentialed should be given full access to the entire voting and vote counting process. Not social distancing observers.
- Reliable voting machines that can't be hacked or manipulated.
These reforms are a start in reducing election cheating. Hopefully, Texas will take the lead in 2021. Now is the time, not next year or the year after.
2020 has been a tough year with Covid, with overreactions and shutdowns by local officials, and the economic fallout from those acts. Hopefully, 2021 will be better for all. Let's learn from our mistakes and quit listening to know-nothing politicians.
Cancel Culture: Is There No End To The Madness?
Just when you thought the cancel crazies had gone into their holes, the San Francisco School District advisors are recommending dropping the name "Abraham Lincoln" from a high school there because some don't think he did enough for black lives.
This is just the latest example of the cancel culture being used as a political tool to dominate and suppress any dissent.
This is also why being informed on the candidates for City Council, school boards, and other less high profile elections is critical, so common sense candidates are elected and not the mindless politically correct.
As Rachel Ebbing said in an article for AIER (www.aier.org):
Let's Recognize And Thank President Trump,
"If the cancel culture destroyers win, then America will be no different than the rest of the world; a world filled with racial genocides, religious bigotries and wars, plundering despotisms, and political paternalisms that reduce human beings to expendable pawns on a great chessboard manipulated by others who arrogantly believe they know how we all should live and what each of us 'really' deserves."
He Got A Lot Done
President Trump, love him or hate him, has been a consequential President and got a lot of good things done. Here is our list:
- Judges: He has redone the courts, appointing a record number of strict constructionist judges.
- Significant tax cuts and deregulation which led to, pre-Covid, the lowest unemployment in 50 years.
- Rebuilt the U.S. military.
- Most pro-life President ever.
- Supported education choice.
- Standing with Israel. He moved the Embassy to Israel's capital and recognized the Golan Heights as part of Israel.
- Established the Abraham accords with historical peace agreements between Israel and now five-Muslim Arab countries, with more coming.
- Built a border wall with Mexico to keep out illegals trying to enter the U.S.
- Supported religious freedom in the U.S. and around the world.
- Withdrew from the unfair Paris climate accord.
- Establish America as energy independent and an exporter of oil and gas.
- Defeated ISIS.
- Got NATO nations to pay more of the costs of joint defense.
- Protected federal property during the riots of 2020.
- Criminal Justice Reform - the First Step Act.
- Withdrew from the badly flawed Iran Nuclear deal and eliminated the lead terrorist in the Iranian military.
- Rebuilt trade agreements so America is treated fairly.
- Protecting freedom of speech and protection against false accusations on college campuses.
- Send real weapons to Ukraine and Taiwan.
- Operation Warp Speed developed a Covid vaccine as promised before the end of 2020.
- Reforming the V.A.
- Reducing prescription drug prices.
- Standing up to Russia and China.
And this is just a partial list. Public policy wise, he will go down as one of the most consequential Presidents of the last century!
A Salute To Commissioner Steve Radack
After thirty-two years serving as Harris County (Houston) Commissioner for Precinct 3 with over one million residents, Steve Radack did not seek reelection. A former eleven year member of the Houston Police Department and a former Constable for Precinct 5 for one term. He has accomplished a lot for the the county over his thirty-two year career.
Among the highlights, he pushed for greater efficiency in government, privatization where appropriate and making sure law enforcement had the tools to do their job.
Commissioner Radack also stressed infrastructure, parks, hike and bike trails and senior citizen services.
Politically, he was and is an active Republican, most recently assisting in the election of his GOP successor, Tom Ramsey.
Your editor had the opportunity to work with the Commissioner on projects to advance a conservative vision of government. He was a pleasure to work with on common goals, but a very tough infighter if you and he did not agree. He will be missed on the Harris County Commissioner's Court.
What's Your Point? on FOX 26
Watch your editor on last Sunday's What's Your Point? hosted by Greg Groogan for a free wheeling discussion of current issues:
TCR on the Air
Gary Polland has recently undertaken the hosting duties on a new interview show, Tell It Like It Is. The show is available at American Star TV and at its YouTube Channel. New shows post Wednesdays. This week: An update on Covid and how to protect yourself and Brian Ettinger with an insiders view of Joe Biden.
Red, White, and Blue featuring TCR Editor Gary Polland on Fridays at 7:30 pm on Houston Public Media TV 8, replaying Saturday at 6:30 p.m. on Channel 8, Monday at 11:30 pm on Channel 8.2 and on the web at www.houstonpublicmedia.org.
Red, White & Blue, Like all business and education campuses, our show is off the air as we can't meet to tape. We hope to be back as soon as possible.
About Your Editor
Gary Polland is a long-time conservative and Republican spokesman, fund-raiser, and leader who completed three terms as the Harris County Republican Chairman. During his three terms, Gary was described as the most successful county Chairman in America by Human Events - The National Conservative Weekly. He is in his twenty-fifth year of editing a newsletter dealing with key conservative and Republican issues. The last nineteen years he has edited Texas Conservative Review. As a public service for the last 17 years, Gary has published election guides for the GOP primary, general elections and city elections, all with the purpose of assisting conservative candidates. Gary is also in his 20th year of co-hosting Red, White and Blue on Houston Public Media TV 8 PBS Houston, longest running political talk show in Texas history. Gary serves on the Board of Directors of American Values, a national pro-family, pro-faith, conservative organization supporting the unity of the American people around the vision of our founding fathers and dedicated to reminding the public of the conservative principles fundamental to the survival of our nation. Gary is a practicing attorney and strategic consultant. He can be reached at (713) 621-6335.