It has now been a year since Hurricane Harvey and parts of our community are still recovering.
Citizens have been looking for leadership so we can effectively spend the resources on critical projects like bayou & channel widening, detention basin excavation, voluntary home buyouts, additional upstream retention ponds and the planning that goes into those projects.
The Federal government, due to hard work by our area representatives, led by Congressman John Culberson, who has had success in getting resources to our region. The State of Texas has helped and hopefully will do more. The City of Houston & Mayor Turner, not so much, primarily due to the misallocation of the Drainage Fee proceeds. Recall that since its inception, the city has spent nothing from the drainage fee on flood control projects.
If one has to give a reward for the government entity trying the hardest, it's Harris County and their forward looking $2.5 billion bond program. Instead of waiting for everyone else to step up, they have done so.
It will cause a very modest tax increase on homeowner's property taxes (remember, senior citizens do not pay property taxes on the first $200,000 of their home), but it's not like we can get a free lunch, and we desperately need flood control. TCR recommends a Yes vote, because if we don't take aggressive action for flood control, our community could be sunk, literally and figuratively. Congratulations to the Commissioners Court; especially Judge Ed Emmett and Commissioners Jack Morman, Jack Cagle and Steve Radack, who selflessly put our entire county interests above any divisive political interests seeking quotas for the spending.
Real Russian Collusion, President Obama Style
At TCR, we know Barack Obama is a former President, but all the false attacks on President Trump regarding relations with Russia are nothing compared to the Obama administration's record that the media and the Democrats have forgotten or just ignore; so, lets review the record by each administration:
Questionable Acts By President Obama
- President Obama told Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, "After the elections I will have more flexibility."
- President Obama scrapped the missile defense agreement President Bush agreed to in Poland and Czechoslovakia and he got no concessions from the Russians for it.
- President Obama approved selling 20% of the U.S. uranium mining capacity in the Uranium One Deal to the Russians.
- President Obama in the 2012 election made fun of Mitt Romney's statement that Russia posed the greatest geopolitical challenge to U.S. interests.
- President Obama failed to enforce his red line on Syrian use of poison gas against its own people.
- President Obama released 5 Taliban terrorist leaders for U.S. Army deserter Bowe Bergdahl.
- President Obama gave the Russian ally Iran $1.7 billion in cash in exchange for four hostages the Iranians were holding.
- President Obama failed to send arms to the Ukraine, but instead sent army meals.
- On President Obama's watch, Syria was essentially destroyed, and Russia came to dominate the country and illegal immigrants from the area inundated Europe by the tens of thousands.
So Now Compare & Contrast Through Acts
By President Trump Toward The Russians
If You Vote Democrat This November
- President Trump sent lethal military aid to the Ukrainian army.
- President Trump imposed tough sanctions against Russia.
- President Trump authorized the liquidation of Russian paramilitary that threatened U.S. troops in Syria.
- President Trump has eased energy regulations allowing our energy sector to become the largest in the world and making life more difficult for countries dependent on oil and gas like Russia and Iran.
- President Trump has increased the defense budget, improved our military, and state of readiness.
- President Trump kicked out scores of Russian diplomats for violation of the rules for their presence in America.
- President Trump authorized the bombing of Syrian military installations.
- President Trump weakened the Russian ally Iran by reinstituting sanctions, while President Obama strengthened Iran.
Per Dennis Prager, radio talk show host on Salem Broadcasting Network:
"If you vote Democrat this November, you are voting for hysteria, lies, socialism and even the cheapening of the Holocaust."
The Left's Double Standard
"But more than anything, a vote for Democrats in November is a vote for hysteria - the greatest and darkest in American history."
Finally, with thanks to friend Gary Bauer, head of Campaign for Working Families, who by the way publishes a great weekday End of Day Report free at https://www.cwfpac.com. His observations about the left, family, faith and freedom is always insightful. What follows is his recent observations about the left's double standard.
"The left's double standard was on full display yesterday as pundits and politicians reacted to President Trump's tweet to Iranian President Hassan Rouhani."
"In one breath, the left attacks Trump for being weak on Russia, even accusing him of treason. And in the next breath, they attack Trump for being too aggressive with Iran. Not only is this utterly absurd (Rouhani threatened us), it demonstrates the media's ignorance.
"Iran is the world's leading state-sponsor of terrorism. It is responsible for the deaths of hundreds of American soldiers. The President should be tough on Iran.
"But Iran is essentially allied with Russia. It has bought sophisticated weapons systems for Russia. Russia is building nuclear power plants in Iran. Iran occupies much of Syria because Russia tolerates it."
TCR on the Air
Red, White & Blue featuring TCR Editor Gary Polland and liberal commentator David Jones on Fridays at 7:30 pm on PBS Houston Channel 8, replaying Saturday at 6:30 p.m. on Channel 8, Monday at 11:30 pm on Channel 8.2 and on the web at www.houstonpublicmedia.org.
Red, White & Blue returns for 18th season in September with all new shows!
About Your Editor
Gary Polland is a long-time conservative and Republican spokesman, fund-raiser, and leader who completed three terms as the Harris County Republican Chairman. During his three terms, Gary was described as the most successful county Chairman in America by Human Events - The National Conservative Weekly. He is in his twenty-first year of editing a newsletter dealing with key conservative and Republican issues. The last seventeen years he has edited Texas Conservative Review. As a public service for the last 15 years, Gary has published election guides for the GOP primary, general elections and city elections, all with the purpose of assisting conservative candidates. Gary is also in his 17th year of co-hosting Red, White and Blue on PBS Houston, longest running political talk show in Texas history. Gary serves on the Board of Directors of American Values, a national pro-family, pro-faith, conservative organization supporting the unity of the American people around the vision of our founding fathers and dedicated to reminding the public of the conservative principles fundamental to the survival of our nation. Gary is a practicing attorney and strategic consultant. He can be reached at (713) 621-6335.